In India, changing a woman’s surname after marriage is not compulsory. However, more than 80% of women change their surname, which has become a national tradition. As a result, after receiving their marriage certificate from the Marriage Registration in Delhi, they must update their surname in several vital records and documents such as their PAN card, voter card, bank account, Aadhaar card, passport, and so on, to avoid any legal complications in the future. Women must add their new surname to some papers by following specific regulations and guidelines. To offer a clear idea about the procedure, today we are going to guide them on how to update their name on the Aadhar card after marriage.
Online Procedure for Changing the Name on Aadhaar Card After Marriage
- First, go to the official website of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and request a name change by selecting the ‘update Aadhaar details online’ option.
- Next, upload a scanned copy of your self-attested documents (Marriage certificate) that support the name change as granted by the Government of India.
- After that, click on the ‘Send OTP’ (one-time password) option. Remember, the one-time password (OTP) will be sent to your Aadhaar-registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP obtained on your registered mobile number in the relevant field to verify and confirm the name change or update request online.
- After the request has been validated and the given evidence has been verified, a confirmation message will be issued to your Aadhaar-registered mobile number regarding the update/correction of your name in the Aadhaar records. The procedure of changing names in Aadhaar records online is free.
Offline Procedure for Changing the Name on Aadhaar Card
- For offline application, you need to visit the nearest Aadhaar enrolment center. You may visit the official website of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to find out the address details by mentioning your state and postal code in the specific field.
- When visiting the nearest Aadhaar enrollment center for the name change, please bring your original Aadhar card and marriage registration certificate obtained from the Marriage Registration Office in Delhi as It could be required for the verification procedure.
- Collect the specific form for updating the name on the Aadhar card and submit it by filling out the mandatory fields along with relevant self-attested supporting documents.
- The paperwork and documentation will be reviewed by officials once you submit your request for a name change.
- Following verification, an SMS will be sent to your Aadhaar-registered mobile number acknowledging the acceptance of the name update in the Aadhaar records. Additionally, you need to pay 50 rupees to that center to avail of this offline service.
Aadhar updates might take up to 90 days to complete. However, you may check the status of the update online by entering the URN number that was delivered to your registered mobile phone. Once the update is shown on the portal, you may easily download an e-Aadhaar card from the same portal.
Related Link: Simple Procedure to Change Name On Passport After Marriage for Women